The first RK3328 Android TV boxes are already available on the media player arena.
For now, they are offered and sold by chinese based sellers only, as you can check on amazon.com store.
This surely will evolve soon enough, as the RK3328 media player offerings consolidate into local USA stock, including new models.
As a side note, I personally buy from amazon store only if the product is being either sold and fulfilled by amazon itself, or eventually offered by a third party seller, but fulfilled by amazon, as these two options always gives me peace of mind on the whole online purchase process.
The new RK3328 media players are nicely priced, too, but keep in mind to carefully check their specifications, as the bottom price comes with only 1gb of DDR3 memory.
Another notable aspect about the RK3328 based media players: They all run Android 7.1.1 (and / or hopefully newer, when available) OS version.
RK3328 Media Player Specifications
I just chose one of the (lower cost) RK3328 Android TV boxes available and brought down here its specs list -including some highlighting by my own- as a way of example on what to expect from this Rockchip chipset:
- Chipset: RK3328 Quad-Core 64bit Cortex-A53
- GPU: Penta-Core Mali-450 Up to 750Mhz+
- OS: Android 7.1.1
- RAM: 1GB / 2GB DDRIII
- ROM: EMMC 8GB / 16GB
- WiFi: 2.4G 802.11 b/g/n
- Support Decoder format: 4K VP9 Video decoder, H.265/H.264 video decoder 1080P other video decoders (VC-1, MPEG-1/2/4, VP6/8)
- Support Media format: Avi/Ts/Vob/Mkv/Mov/ISO/wmv/asf/flv/dat/mpg/mpeg
- Support Music format: MP3/WMA/AAC/WAV/OGG/DDP/HD/FLAC/APE
- Support Photo format: HD JPEG/BMP/GIF/PNG/TIFF
- HDR: HDR10 and HLG modes
- USB host: 1*High speed USB 3.0 1*USB 2.0
- Card reader: TF cards
- HDD file system: FAT16/FAT32/NTFS
- Support Subtitle: SRT/SMI/SUB/SSA/IDX+USB
- High Definition video output: 4K (4096×2160 pixel)
- OSD type of languages: English/French/German/Spanish/Italian/ etc
- LAN: Ethernet:10/100 standard RJ-45
- 2.4G Remote Control: 2.4G Remote Control
- Mouse/Keyboard: Support mouse and keyboard via USB;Support 2.4GHz wireless mouse and keyboard via 2.4GHz USB dongle
- HDMI: HDMI 2.0a for 4k@60Hz
- 3D: 3D video formats
The way I see it, these Android media players are a nice, on budget choice for fueling your multimedia needs on any screen you may have.
Surely there is still some benchmarking and testing to be made, as I would like to read about RK3328 behavior on everyday use. This kind of information will also most probably emerge over the next weeks: We shall comment on it, of course 🙂